Menu Plan Monday - August 21-September 1, 2010



OK, here's the drill. As a working mother, I need to know what I'm cooking each day. I cook more difficult, time consuming, or labor-intensive items on days I don't work. I cook quick, easy meals on days I work. Everyone is usually on their own on days I work night shifts. I get paid every two weeks. I work a rotating shift, so some weeks I plan for two weeks of food. Other weeks it may be closer to three weeks of menu planning and grocery shopping.

To see what others are eating, Laura's blog, I'm an Organizing Junkie, is the home of Menu Plan Monday.

Enough with the preliminary stuff, let's get to the good part..... Food!

August 21 - Mini Meatloaf (OAMC), Mashed Potatoes (OAMC), Macaroni and Cheese (OAMC), Steamed Broccoli

August 22 - Tater Tot Casserole (OAMC), Steamed Carrots

August 23 - Chicken Enchiladas (OAMC), Whole Kernel Corn

August 24 - Chicken Fingers (OAMC), Fried Potatoes, Broccoli and Rice Casserole (OAMC)

August 25 - Zucchini Parmesan (OAMC) or Chicken Parmesan (OAMC)

August 26 - Spaghetti (OAMC), Salad, Garlic Bread

August 27 - Beef, Macaroni and Tomato Casserole (OAMC)

August 28 - Pulled Pork Sandwiches (OAMC), Slaw, Make Ahead Twice Baked Potatoes (OAMC), Beans

August 29 - Fish Fillets, Fries {buy already made and frozen at the grocery store}

August 30 - Baked Spaghetti (OAMC), Garlic Bread

August 31 - Hamburgers {buy pre-made patties at grocery store}, Potato Salad, Whole Kernel Corn, Green Beans

September 1 - Cheesy Chicken and Rice (OAMC), Mashed Potatoes, Steamed Broccoli and Carrots


This time, I thought I would try to cook more things that can be frozen. I used to do some OAMC (Once A Month Cooking), but with chasing Colt and Bo's fottball season starting and work and everything else, I haven't done any OAMC or batch cooking in a looooong time. I have scanned through my cookbooks I have saved at food.com, picked out a menu's worth of things we'll probably like, and the best part is, they can all be frozen. So I can cook double batches of some foods and freeze the extra for another night (like during our upcoming month of torture outage). I'm also trying to clear a little room out of our upright freezer so I can do some OAMC or batch cooking. I would LOVE to get to the point, space and budget-wise, to do a plan by the ladies over on Once A Month Mom.

Anyway, the idea this time is to cook double batches of several items on the menu. I'll use the cook-one-and-freeze-one method. Then we will see how well each dish stood up to being frozen, thawed, and cooked. Maybe that way I can add to my list of foods I know handle OAMC well and still taste good to us.

I'll post recipes for those items that don't already have one linked. I'll post reviews after we've eaten each dish.

1 comments:

Lori said...

I'm amazed, I don't start thinking about dinner until about 4:30, on my ride home from work. Check out my crawfish bread.

Post a Comment

 
Template designed using TrixTG