From Lulu's Kitchen - My Granny's Salmon Patties

It's been a while since I posted a recipe on my blog. How about we fix that right now? I cooked these last week for our dinner, and just happened to remember to whip out the phone and take pictures to share with everyone.

My family loves good southern cooking. (I know, big surprise since we were born and raised in Alabama, right?) My sister and I are very fond of our Granny's cooking. I don't remember EVER putting a bite of anything she cooked in my mouth and not loving it. (Except greens and beans. I just don't like them. I don't care what type of greens or what kind of beans you cook, I have never tasted any I liked.)

I love my Granny's salmon patties. I remember eating these all the time as a child when I went to her house (which was usually every weekend, and a good portion of every school break.) When I grew up and moved out on my own, I had to get the recipe from her. I wanted to make salmon patties just like hers. While my recipe tastes a little different from hers, it's close enough to satisfy my sister and me.

Are you ready? This is gonna be a little messy, but trust me, it's worth it.

You're gonna need some cornmeal, two cans of salmon, some milk, and a couple of eggs.

Open up your cans of salmon, drain them, and dump them in a big bowl. Canned salmon is usually packed with the bones still in the fish. Just crumble them up into the meat since they crumble really easily. You can use a fork, but I just use my fingers. That way I can feel around and make sure I've gotten to all the bones. (I know, this can sound really gross, but it won't hurt you. It is even said to add calcium to the fish. At least, that's what my Granny always told us.)


Now beat your eggs and add them to the bowl. I usually just move the salmon over to the side of my mixing bowl and use the empty space to beat the eggs. Saves a dirty bowl. Cause I hate doing dishes.


Now we need to add some cornmeal and milk to the bowl and mix it up real good.

Grab a handful of the salmon and shape it into patties.

Place the patties into a skillet with about 1/8" of oil that has been heated over medium heat. Make sure the oil is hot before you add the patties so they'll start to cook right away. Otherwise they just might fall apart on you.

Let them cook a couple of minutes on the first side, then flip them over to finish cooking.


Take them out of the skillet after another four or five minutes or so, and place them on a paper-towel lined plate to take care of the extra oil on them.

These should turn out nice and crunchy on the outside and moist and soft on the inside.

Serve these with whatever sides you choose. On this day, Colt wanted macaroni with his dinner, and I chose some whole kernel corn cooked with some Garlic and herb Mrs. Dash seasoning and a little butter to give it extra flavor. And my family always, ALWAYS, dips their salmon patties in ketchup. My boyfriend prefers Ranch dressing, since he says he doesn't like ketchup. (Who in the world doesn't like ketchup? I thought EVERYONE liked ketchup???)

Ready for a re-cap of the recipe? Here we go.

Ingredients
2 cans of salmon (I use Double Q brand salmon, cause that's what my Granny always used)
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 to 3/4 cup of cornmeal
1/3 to 1/4 cup milk

Directions
1. Heat 1/8" oil in a skillet over medium heat.

2. Open and drain the cans of salmon, and pour into a bowl. Crush up all the little bones into the meat.

3. Add the eggs, milk and cornmeal. It's best to start out with less cornmeal and milk, and add more if you need it. If you put too much cornmeal, your patties will be dry and gritty. If you put too much milk they won't stick together. Either way equals your patties falling apart. They should stick together and form patties easily, like a hamburger.

4. Shape into patties and place in the hot skillet. Cook two or three minutes on the first side,then flip. Cook another four or five minutes, or until the fish is cooked through. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.

With the ingredients above, I only got about twelve patties, but as you can tell from the pictures above, they were huge. That's a ten inch skillet I used to cook them in. You could make them a little smaller and thinner, if you prefer.

And if you have some left over? No worries.We eat them cold later if we get hungry again. Or heat them up the next day for lunch. They're still good, although maybe not quite as crunchy.

Anyone have anything else to add? A different take on making salmon patties? A question? A low-fat method that will still get them crunchy on the outside?

**Disclaimer - I am not affiliated with the companies that own the products pictured in any way. That's just the brands I happened to have in my kitchen when I cooked these. If another brand had been on sale cheaper the day I bought these ingredients, then that's what I would have bought.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template designed using TrixTG